Pages

April 27, 2007

Scrumptious Seasonal Soup!


(Ok, so is that good or bad attempt at alliteration hehe).

I love the fact that the kids really like soup. It's not something I would have thought would be appealing for them.

I had a heap of beetroot piling up in my fridge from our weekly vege box deliveries - rather than compost them as I have been known to do when they go quite soft, I decided to be more proactive and actually use them!

So, I was given the suggestion of making Borscht. I was a little skeptical that the kids would be into this concoction, but thought they could at least have Cheese on Toast if all else failed. It was also meant to be our Vegetarian night, and even better, this is Vegan.

Nathan actually asked for 3 helpings and ate his with Corn Thin crackers, Danielle ate one serving, but upended her bowl to get the remains out. I think it was a success!

Here is the recipe I used, not sure how traditional it is, but it was pretty tasty. I omitted a few of the veges (celery/tomato/rutabaga) as I didn't have the - but apparently cabbage is essential.

4 large beets
1/2 green cabbage
2 carrots
1 onion
1 Stick Of celery
1 large tomato
1 large rutabaga (Swedish turnip)
2 tablespoons of dill
2 tablespoons of parsley
2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
10 cups of veggie stock or water
salt and pepper, to taste

1) Chop up all the veggies.
2) In a large pot, saute onion, celery, dill, parsley, and garlic in vinegar on high heat.
3) Slowly add stock/water and bring to a boil. Add beets, rutabaga, cabbage, carrots, and tomato.
4) Cover and let simmer until root vegetables become tender (about 20 minutes).
5) Enjoy! Add salt and pepper if you wish.

I actually stuck my stick-blender into the wok to give a smooth texture.

This made heaps! I have frozen a portion for another meal and there was more left over for lunch tomorrow for myself and the kids. Next time I will also make a loaf of bread to go with it.

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Looks great. I've got a lovely recipe for beetroot & red wine risotto I'll have to send your way.

Nik said...

Sharon, yes, I'd love for you to send it my way, I'm sure I'll have plenty of beetroot arriving again next week lol (will give me a good reason to crack open a bottle of wine too...).