Pages

May 26, 2008

Food Independence Challenge

I'm not usually one for challenges. I have in the past done casual forms of the challenges out there, and found them a great motivator when I was first learning about living sustabinably, simplifying, decluttering, growing food, food storage etc - individually those types of challenges are a great learning tool and a way to create focus and habit.

However, I've been of this mindset now for a good 18mths, and have been learning along the way and a lot of these things now just slot into my day to day life. But, what I like about this challenge is that it gives me a weekly boost to keep up the pace. It's not specific, but creates just enough challenge and stepping out of the comfort zone to make a little bit more of a difference.

So I'm going to take this one up, I probably won't report daily, but will look at this as a weekly challenge - yet try to complete one of the things on the list per day. It may be trickier to keep up with since we are moving into winter, but I will try and get creative lol.

1. Plant something.
2. Harvest something.
3. Preserve something.
4. Prep something.
5. Cook something new.
6. Manage your reserves.
7. Work on local food systems.


Check out Casaubon's Book site for ideas on how to achieve each category.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

I like this. I feel monthly would be more manageable for us. We'd soon run out of space to plant something;-)