Pages

September 22, 2018

Meaningful spaces...emotionally satisfying


I’ve always cherished certain spaces within my home. I guess most of us do. It could be just a small corner set up with a few little things that I love or it could be out on the deck with a seat facing a lovely view and surrounded by potted plants and herbs. Often it might be a collection of nature items nestled together on a shelf that remind me of the connection to the earth, or a tidy stack of books and magazines that provide inspiration and learning. And one outdoor special space for me is underneath a lovely maple tree in my back yard with some of my herbs growing underneath.

Sometimes it might be the way the sun streams in across a bench or bathes the floor in a patch of bright warmth on a cold day or at the end of the day snuggled down deep in a comfortable bed with soft bedding piled on. There is definitely a seasonal aspect to how I appreciate certain spaces within my home or garden – I like to acknowledge the seasons and my relationship with them by bringing a little piece of the outside inside. This also helps keep me aligned to the present moment and connected to what is around me. It reminds me of my physical presence on this earth as I simultaneously seek a higher vibrating, non-earthly connection.

What all these spaces have in common are the emotions that are experienced and the energy that is within them. For me they all speak of warmth, belonging, comfort and coziness, a sense of well-being, safety, and “my place”. Every little thing I have placed within my home is there because of the feelings they generate. These are spaces where my soul hums and feels alive, nourished, and connected. Even if I’m feeling out of sorts, anxious, upset or irritable – they bring a feeling of being safe to just sit, relax and heal within the energy.

Sometimes the space can be inspirational for other reasons or symbolize the heart of the home and the people in it or those who visit. It could be a creative space, cooking space, study space, spiritual space, art space, garden shed (I used to dream about having an awesome potting/garden shed), herbal prep and storage area (yet to find a place to recreate one of these) or living areas where everyone gathers together.

Each of the special spaces within my home serve a purpose and are closely associated with the activity that I do within it. For example, my yoga space is always the same – on my bedroom floor looking out the window whether night or day. My meditation space is in or on my bed where it is warm and comfy and quiet and private from disturbance. My study and blogging space wanders around the house – living areas or on my bed (I tend to follow the sun if I can!) – so long as I can spread out my books and papers and computer I’m happy providing it’s warm and comfortable. 

What each of these spaces also have in common is that every time I walk past them I feel a call and commitment to the activity and ritual that I associate it with.

And sometimes...these spaces all need a good shake up and for the energy within them moved around. I have a few yet simple rituals I like to do that achieve this:
  • Opening the doors and windows and let in the sunlight and fresh air
  • Clean all surfaces of dust
  • Giving the room a spritz of fresh essential oil (homemade air spray using oils such as lavender, geranium, lemon) or burn some nag champa incense.
  • Set out fresh flowers in a vase
  • Shake rugs and blankets
  • Turn on a few table lamps on dim days or in the evenings (especially my Himalayan salt lamp that gives out a lovely warm glow)
  • Put on some music
  • Clearing any clutter or those little bits and pieces that get tucked away in corners of the kitchen bench or table top.
What favourite spaces do you seek out when you need a bit of recharge time?

No comments: