Pages

September 29, 2018

A little spring foraging...for nature's medicine

I have written before about foraging for wild edible plants, but I also like to forage for plants that have medicinal properties. Most often, the haul I take home will serve multiple purposes as it’s a bit difficult to separate the activities!

I have been waiting for Spring to really announce itself so I can get out and forage! And last weekend, which happened to be the spring equinox, was perfect for a long relaxing walk with the opportunity to gather some wild goodies.

Foraging is very much a spiritual and mindful experience for me. I get to exist in the present moment as I engage with and walk among nature. From the moment I put together my foraging kit (my bag contains good kitchen scissors, a small bag (preferably paper) to hold the herbs, garden glove for thorny or stingy plants), choose the walk to take, then identifying, harvesting and later preparing and using the plants it’s a special experience.

Before heading out, I usually have in mind what I would like to gather, and how much I require. If I am going to be using it for adding to a meal, I will only take what I need for a few days as the wild greens are often softer and less resilient so tend to lose their freshness pretty quickly.

If I am gathering herbs for making into medicinal remedies, I will still only gather enough to prepare and store for what I think I need over that season. Although the greens are free and I usually don’t deplete an entire plant, I don’t really like to waste what I forage unnecessarily. I also tend to only collect plants that I think I will actually use. That means I need to put in some hours of research to and make a plan for what I want to find.

I have a large collection of books that I spend many hours pouring over as I research what I want to gather, how to prepare it, if I want to turn it into a remedy or just store as a single plant.

My haul over the weekend included the following for both food and medicinal purposes:

Dandelion
Parts used: Flowers, leaves, roots
Season harvested: Gather the young leaves in Spring when they are less bitter taste, and wait until Autumn to harvest roots (although these can also be harvested in Spring).
Uses: Flowers and leaves are edible and good for using in salads or can be added to cooked dishes. Leaves when dried can be made into an infusion that can help with digestion or as a diuretic. With this collection, I used all the leaves in our dinner.

Red clover
Parts used: Flower heads
Season harvested: Spring and early summer
Uses: The flowers can be dried and stored, or used fresh. Fresh they can add colour to a salad. Dried and stored they can then be made up into an infusion and used on skin that is inflamed with eczema or can be gargled for sore throats or mouth ulcers.

Blackberry
Parts used: Collect the young leaves early in spring before flowers appear
Season harvested: Spring
Uses: The leaves are dried and crushed for storing. These can then be made into infusions that can be applied as an external use on skin that would benefit from antiseptic or antifungal treatment. The dried leaves can also be made into a tea and drunk by someone who has a cough or used as a gargle for a sore throat or mouth ulcer

Chickweed
Parts used: Leaves and stems
Season harvested: All year round
Uses: As food chickweed makes a great fresh addition to salads or cooked into a meal such as a pasta sauce or curry; it can also be made into a lemonade style drink using the juice of the chickweed as it is a good source of vitamin A and C. I used all this chickweed in our dinner. Chickweed is also great to use topically either turned into an ointment, but also to crush and use fresh as a poultice for itchy skin and rashes.

Also, since my special spaces post last week I have now found the perfect spot in my laundry to pop a small set of drawers for herb storage with the top to dry them without being disturbed. And even better, it’s not out of sight and therefore not out of mind (which can sometimes lead to forgetting all about them!).

Future posts will build on my herbal collections and include recipes on how I prepare and use them.

No comments: