Pages

February 05, 2009

Vitamins, minerals and food sources

This evening I've been working on putting together a list of where we currently get our nutrients from.

I much prefer to get naturally occurring sources of nutrients rather than through supplements but haven't before really weighed up whether we got enough.

So after a bit of googling I came across this fairly comprehensive list of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds and what nutrients they each have. Then those lists cross reference with the vitamin and mineral lists. So it makes it fairly easy (but time consuming) to make up my own spreadsheet of foods that we currently eat as part of the diet and taking typical serving sizes that the kids eat as well as what the daily recommended value is for each nutrient. Once I've compliled my list I'll then go back on what the kids are eating on a day to day and identify any gaps.

I know that we're low on calcium at the moment, but hopefully once I get the fermented yoghurt in OK and then the cheese we should be on target again.

The lists don't currently include meat and dairy products, so I will add those in separately.

No comments: