Pages

February 10, 2009

Homemade Baked Beans


Finally got around to doing these for tonight's dinner. Totally not my kind of thing, so think I'll pass lol. But the kids enjoyed it and declared them just like the "other" ones.

I didn't have a few of the ingredients that most of the recipes called for like molasses and allspice (and I wanted vegan ones and most recipes seemed to include pork bones or something), so made do with what I had. Fortunately my kids don't mind plain food.

300gm haricot/navy beans well covered with water and soaked over night
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 T olive oil
2 tsp salt
pinch of stevia powder (sugar for those that can eat it)
400gm tinned tomatoes

Drain the beans after being soaked overnight. Put into a large pot, cover well with water and boil for 30mins.

In a pan heat the oil, fry the onion and garlic until very soft, add the salt, stevia and tinned tomatoes and reduce slightly to a thick sauce. I whizzed it up with the stickwhiz to make into a smooth sauce. Add in the cooked beans and toss till coated and serve.

This was totally modified and most recipes called for baking it in the oven as well, but I wanted them to resemble tinned beans, so kept them like this. I now have a left over portion for the freezer.

I can't believe this is also the first time I've used dried beans for any recipe...but then we don't tend to eat a lot of beans anyhow.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I have a Nutra Mill grain grinder that I use to grind beans as well. The bean flour can be added to baked goods or to make instant "re-fried" beans...I don't "fry" them, just cook them like oatmeal in boiling water for 3 min or until the water is absorbed...Just like oats it is 2 parts water 1 part bean powder. You do need to add spices to take the "raw" bean flavor away, but dried beans are great for meal additions and this is just one way to use them without too much fuss.

Nik said...

Thanks for that nancy. I had wondered about using beans as flour.