Pages

February 28, 2009

A day of new foods

We've been on the GAPS diet for a month now and I've fallen into a rountine of regular meals that take minimal thought or effort. I no longer feel like I'm chained to the kitchen 4hrs a day or spending every waking moment thinking about the next meal or tomorrow and the day after.

I guess that's why I felt inspired to try a couple of new dishes today.

First up for lunch I wanted to try out the "pizza" recipe I found in the SCD book (I think?).

The base was made from grated pumpkin (recipe actually called for courgette but didn't have any), almond flour, eggs and cheese. Combined, pressed into a pie dish and baked till cooked. Then I layered on my usual pizza sauce and layered on cheese and baked for 10mins. Nathan liked it, but Danielle not so much (she ate the tomato and cheese topping). I would definitely try something other than the pumpkin in the base next time (or perhaps just a tastier pumpkin would do it).

Then for dinner I made a soup from my hot off the stove chicken broth - it was a bit of a flop which is a first. Nathan still ate it (this kid seems to enjoy all food lol) but Danielle didn't.

After dinner I put together a "baked honey apple slices" dish that I had from the SCD book. Oh wow! That was the tastiest thing I've had in ages. Apple peeled and sliced into a flan dish. Mix up 1/2 cup honey with the juice of one lemon (I used a big lemon). Pour over the apple and stir through. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and dollop a few teaspoons worth of butter over. I then decided to turn it into a "crumble" type dish so mixed up some fine ground almonds with some desiccated coconut and sprinkled it over.

We decided that we have our birthday cake options sorted. OK, so not traditional cake and all that. But hey, we're far from traditional around here lol.

One child will have the homemade ice cream in a cake shape and the other will have an apple crumble. We figured we can get creative by decorating around the "cakes" (on a platter underneath the dish or something). Candles can still go in to each. Sounds pretty good to me anyway - hot apple crumble and ice cream.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

How precious your little Nathan...Your story brought tears to my eyes...He is so willing to jump in and accept. Even as posted earlier to get involved with the cooking himself. All your cooking efforts translate to him I'm sure, as my Mommy REALLY loves me...No complaints just accepting of the LOVE!

Lisa said...

I just discovered your gem of a blog today. I found you through ordinary life magic's links. I can relate to so much you are doing. Thank you for the inspiration abd sharing.

Nik said...

Thanks Nancy!

Hi Lisa, thanks for stopping by!