Pages

September 14, 2008

The slack blogger

Well, it really has become a bit of a weekly update around here hasn't it?

I find I'm really only thinking and doing "garden" stuff and my mind hasn't been wandering in other directions. So along with keeping ourselves busy, continuing with being mindful of fuel usage, trying to keep my thoughts away from buying-buying-buying (albeit only auction-site things), catching up with friends and just living-life, we're just cruising along quite nicely. It's become such a seamless, mostly relaxed journey, that it all feels so...normal.

A year ago I felt anything but normal, but the more I find groups of people who I can be *me* with, have meaningful connecting conversations and relationships with, the more normal it all seems (even if I perhaps appear to others like the loopy chick who belongs to those fringe groups)! It no longer seems to matter.

I feel content and on the right path. I'm loving the various groups I'm involved in that really do enhance and make life enjoyable (namely family, playcentre, transition towns and our unschooling friends).

So! Back to what I've been up to...

~ Have dug up all the potato bits that I put in the trenches that became waterlogged and planted new seed potatoes.

~ One entire bed of potatoes have now sprouted and another has a few shoots above the surface. No sign of my Maori potatoes yet.

~ Spent a lot of time fluffing around and watching my chickens. They have all settled really well. The little ones start running around all silly when they see me coming now. They still tend to freak out occasionally when out free ranging and end up flying across the yard for odd reasons, but no longer have the desire to fly over the fences to the neighbours!

~ Had a few days of rain during the week which is just what the garden needed to get a good thorough soaking.

~ Decluttered my car - what a tip!

~ Went along to a transition towns working-bee today to spend a few enjoyable hours in someone elses garden.

~ Moved the chicken tractor to clear another vege patch (was amazing how quickly the previous one turned to bare mud with a few days of rain). Sussed out with Simon where they will be located over summer while the garden is full of veges growing.

~ Went for a walk down to a local river mouth with the kids and my parents yesterday and I couldn't help but look at all the weeds lol. My step dad was really helpful in identifying a few things (but then got exasperated when I asked just one too many "what do you think this one is?" and got a "geez, what do you think I am?" lol. And he recommended I bring his mother down to do the id'ing! I come from a step-family of wild foragers and I didn't really even know it! I spotted masses of unidentified wild brassica's, kawa kawa (step dad pointed that one out to me), beach spinach, ice plant, puha and plenty of other things that *looked* like they should have been something edible. I didn't bring any home since I had no plans for using it.

Plans for the week ahead...

~ Reassessing our emergency food supplies again. A few months back we had run out of rice in the pantry. So decided that the rice in the emergency bin needed rotating. After cooking it up, the smell of laundry powder through it was awful, so the entire batch (including dinner) was dumped. Despite things being double bagged, we'll need to come up with a more reliable system.

~ Finish the frog pond - cover with netting, sort out some pond weed/plants, put a few upturned pots around for hiding in and decide what plants to plant around it (I'm leaning towards peas again).

~ Going along to a transition towns movie night to watch "What a Way to Go". I'm sure I've seen this one before, but wouldn't mind seeing it again.

9 comments:

Johanna Knox said...

Hi Nikki - it's great to hear what you've been up to. Have been missing your blog! (Even though it's only been a few days I guess, really!) :o)

Your garden sounds amazing - how close to self-sufficiency do you think you'll be by next year?

Nik said...

Hi Johanna! Hmmm, self sufficiency, its a tough one. If we're just talking not needing to buy any fruit and veges once a week and my planned plants are successful and produce well, I'd still say only 4-6mths worth of fresh food and probably only in some areas? If that. Where I am going to be let down is by the brassica's. I can make a lot of meals from cabbages, caulis and brocolli but don't seem to have much success in having them grow. Summer last year I swore I wouldn't bother this year because of the white butterfly laying so many eggs on them. And I really didn't put enough in the ground over winter to do much freezing with them. Leafy greens are good, onions and carrots hopefully, corn, pumpkins, tomatoes good. Hopefully more beans than last year that I can freeze or dry. Potatoes - no idea! Hoping to get a bigger crop that we can store some of. We eat a lot of spuds. Realistically - I'd say maybe only 4mths worth of food not including salad veges that we can eat every day instead of our storage crops?? And from my reading, it seems to become self-sufficient (not including growing grains) I'd need about twice the amount of land (to grow more root crops for storage). Still, totally worthwhile and can be improved every year!

C said...

Hi there, I'm a lurker on your blog but really enjoy reading about your journey. With regards to the emergency food: what about if you get a separate storage container for the food stuff only? You could write out a list of what's in it and expiry dates and stick on top/side to help make sure it gets rotated.

Chile said...

Thanks for the update, Nikki. After our unsuccessful attempt at potatoes last year, we're not trying them this year (especially since we keep hoping to move). However, we had sweet potatoes that sprouted so my sweetie stuck them in the garden. The tops are growing like crazy!

I'm curious about your car decluttering. What was the weirdest thing you found in the mess? ;-)

Johanna Knox said...

Hi Nikki - okay - so at most half a year's veges? Whew = Pretty impressive.

Have you got any plans to deal with the white butterflies? We have planted cabbages and caulis for the first time (seriously - such a small amount - I'm talking about 5 or 6!!) - and not sure what we would/will do to deal with that.

Nik said...

Fitcat, great suggestion, will definitely get separate containers for things, and yep, need to label with expiry dates.

Hi Chile! Hmmm, weirdest thing, more like grossest thing! One of the kids must have dumped a food container of chopped fruit a few weeks back, and layers of their discarded clothing has ended up on top of it all, and rotting and sticking to the entire mess. Blech. Doesn't help I've had blocked sinuses for a few weeks and had no sense of smell!

Johanna, with that number of plants you could probably keep on top of them with the squish and squash method of just getting rid of the eggs as you see them? I found that ok except I had too many plants to keep up with. There are other ways too...need to look up my notes from my course. BT (??)springs to mind, so will look into that further.

Lynda Eichler said...

Johanna - Re white butterfly. Nigel used to use 'derris dust' for control of white butterfly on his toms. Apparently it's a Natural insecticide, made from natural plant root extracts. The bottle says it controls most chewing and sucking insect pests, including caterpillars, on vegetables and flowers. It is particularly effective against white butterfly and diamondback moth caterpillars. It is also helpful in the control of aphids.

You may want to google it.

Nikki - would love to know your opinion on this product.

Lynda Eichler said...

Mmmm. Just googled Derris Dust and found http://www.organicnz.org/page/derris-dust . You may want to take a look before considering this 'organic' pesticide. :-0

Nik said...

You bet me to it Lynda. Was just going to say that it's no longer considered an organic option.