Pages

November 06, 2007

The bottling has been done


It wasn't the most elegant of processes and definitely something I need to work on.

I had the kids holding the bottle still with the funnel (too small for the job I think) balanced in the neck, I held my small cooking sieve over the top with one hand and used my soup ladle in the other hand trying to get the liquid into the sieve and hope for the best. Put it this way, Nathan needs a bath tonight or else ants might find their way to him (Danielle wasn't the dedicated worker he was and moved out of the way lol) while he sleeps and my floor needs mopping coz my shoes stick to it!

How do y'all go about it?

4 comments:

Melanie Rimmer said...

That sounds about the same way I do it. It might be neater with a siphon, but I always have little bits of lemon in my ginger beer and I'm worried they'd bung the siphon up. I could switch to using Jif lemon rather than fresh, or I could strain my fresh lemon juice more thoroughly.

But on the other hand, it forces me to mop my kitchen floor at least once a week (that's how often I make ginger beer) so perhaps there's an advantage in doing it the sticky way.

Malva said...

I only did it once and made it directly into 2 litre bottles. We strained it as we served it. There was no need to move liquid from the pail to the bottles.

Sharonnz said...

We'll brew ours in hubby's beer fermenter (i.e plastic bucket thingammy, lol) which has a bung we fit a tap & plastic tubing to when bottling.

Chile said...

I mix the final brew up in a large bucket and strain the lemon juice before adding. (We also prefer to only use one lemon.) Since I'm using plastic bottles, the concern is with them tipping over. I solved that last time by placing all the empties in a box that fit them perfectly. Then I put a funnel in one bottle at a time and use a soup ladle to pour into the funnel. No fuss and no mess at all.

Unfortunately, this means my kitchen floor does not get mopped once a week...