Pages

September 29, 2007

Spring Surprises


Out wandering in the garden this afternoon, we spotted HEAPS of plums developing. Tiny still at only about 1cm diameter, but there are masses. Last summer the amount of fruit we got was a bit of a disappointment (suspect it is a tree that fruits every two years) - but that's ok, I don't think I would have had great plans for bottling and storing it all anyway. This year, I will definitely make plans for what I can do. Mmmmmmm.


The apple tree also has some lovely blossoms on it. Unfortunately I wasn't on to it and didn't protect it against codlin moth which seems to attack it every year. But hopefully we'll be able to cut around what is ok and do something useful with it anyway. They are old fashioned apples (not sure what variety) and I'd say the tree dates back to when the house was built about 50yrs ago. The tree is looking quite decrepit and not too good - but the wonderfully tasty fruit it bears makes it difficult to chop it back and risk it carking it completely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm plums! It's so exciting. Your tree looks like it's a couple of weeks ahead of mine. Mine looks like it has lots too though. I'm planning on making some booze out of mine ;>

Sharonnz said...

Hmmmm...plum sauce!