Pages

July 08, 2007

More Library Books!

I'm on a roll...

I really needed to find a book on caring for chickens, yeah, I hear you say I should have already done this. Well I was not completely remiss, I have done a lot of online research, but decided it would be nice to get a more complete book of information. And I had a reserved book to pick up that I'd had them order a while back on traditional diet and food preparation.

Backyard Poultry by Glenys O'Byrne
The New Zealand Gardening Calendar a month by month guide
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Backyard Self Sufficiency by Jackie French

I'm still enjoying my The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Without a doubt the best book I've got on chickens is The Big Book of Garden Hens by Francine Raymond. It's full of lovely pictures, goes through the cycle of a year, and has a CAN DO attitude which is both inspiring and encouraging for beginners. When I need more detailed information, I turn to the web, but not all that often.

Our buff Orpingtons (two hens, one cockerel) have just produced three chicks, and the whole family walks round the garden, just asking to be photographed ... there are some pictures on my blog, but I have to go steady, because it's really a food blog, not a poultry-fancier's paradise!

Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com

lilymarlene said...

Another really good book for those trying to do most things for themselves is this one at this link. I'm on my second copy as my 25 year old one wore out!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-Fashioned-Recipe/dp/157061377X/ref=sr_1_1/026-6745766-5104433?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183912328&sr=8-1
I do love John Seymour's writing too. We met him some years ago at the elf Sufficiency Show at Ardingly in Sussex. He was most likeable...inviting us, complete strangers, to stay at his farm in Ireland. We never made it but wished we had.