Pages

July 28, 2007

Check these out...


You can sooooo tell I'm new to all of this LOL! Here are my seedlings ready for pricking out and putting into little pots to continue growing before transplanting into the garden. A few still haven't germinated, so will leave them a few more days before deciding what to do. I have decided to use some old egg cartons for the next lot and see if that idea works OK as well since I have a massive lot to get going for my Spring planting (unless I decide to buy the supermarket seedlings and get a dozen plants for a few dollars...doesn't really follow my sustainable living dream, but hey, I'm working through the process at least).

I remembered reading in one book that toilet roll tubes could be used to put the seedlings into and planting the entire thing straight into the ground and letting them decompose in there while protecting the plants from shock. So, fortunately I'm a bit slack at putting the used rolls out into the recycling, and found a wee stash I could trial the idea on. Not sure if I filled the tubes up with enough soil, but hey, I'm sure they will be OK. I was kind of surprised to find the stems of the seedlings very fragile and accidentally put my finger nail through a couple as I picked them up (despite trying to grasp only the leaves).

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Oh...I'm gonna steal your egg carton & toilet roll idea for my seedlings. S'pose I should get cracking looking at all your wee babies there!

Sandra said...

How exciting Nikki. I had to go and buy a second propogator today for all my seeds and that doesn't count the big Kings Seeds order which is due later this week.

Fionn and I planted 20 sunflower seedlings as well! Have them all under chicken wire netting to protect against the birds.