Pages

March 30, 2007

Refashioning...

This is something I started doing late last year after reading a blog about some women turning unused items into new creations.

Although my attempts to date haven't been anything particularly flash, I have a stash of clothes sitting aside from my wardrobe decluttering and plan on making things out of them as the need (or desire) arises.

My first item was a very simple, yet much needed item. A hairband for Danielle. I found a pair of her newborn leggings which were a really stretchy cotton/lycra and whipped it up.


My second item was a few months back (still a bit unfinished - but not yet needed since it's still too summery to need anything this warm) when I kept a woollen cardy my grandmother no longer needed. So rather than donate it on, I thought it would be great made into a hooded winter cardy/jacket for Danielle. Being cream, I decided to dye it red. Unfortunately it turned out rather bright coloured, so attempted to use some Beetroot I had piling up in my fridge to deepen it, but it didn't seem to take too well. But, it will still get a lot of use - perhaps as a rough around outdoor jacket when needed without worrying if it'll get ruined (and there's not chance of losing her with it this bright!).


(still need to put binding around the edge and buttons or toggles)
And then tonight - my third item. It is Danielle's 2nd birthday on Sunday, I thought she'd really like a little fairy skirt to use for dress-ups. Well after visiting a few shops selling skirts, I was shocked to discover that any decent looking ones were over $20. No way was I paying that! Unfortunately we don't have any dedicated fabric shops where I live. So down to the local Op Shop where I found a cute greeny/aqua coloured scarf for 20 cents and then at home an unused net curtain in my airing cupboard. Perfect! A bit of silver fabric in my sewing stash made a few flowers.


I find it fun looking at unused clothes in a new light to imagine how they could be reused in the future.

No comments: