Pages

September 07, 2008

Weekend round up

I've been continuing on with reading my How To Grow More Vegetables book and gleaning a few new bits and pieces out of it. I also found a book on my bookshelf that I had acquired from my nana's bookcase a few months back called The Findhorn Garden which I started to read this morning. It's a weirdly interesting read and I'm not too sure how I feel about the extreme religious/spiritual nature of it just yet lol, but it's definitely an intriguing book that I had trouble putting down.

Since today was Fathers Day and was a beautiful sunny (but chilly) day we decided to go for a bike ride and take a picnic with us. So after making a frittata, we headed off for a local park/reserve area about 10mins away. We heard the miniature trains tooting their horns, so after finishing up eating we headed to the park where the trains are and the kids and Simon had a ride before heading off to the playground where we saw several lots of people we knew and then home again. It was a lovely few hours out.

This afternoon I let the chickens out for a run around and decided to pop some leek, brassica and silverbeet seedlings into the ground to free up one of my seed trays. I then popped the rest of my herb seedlings (even if they weren't big enough or not needed) into the herb garden and will just hope for the best (and think about identifying them later when they're bigger lol - at least I will know out of about a dozen plants which ones they'll be!).

It seemed quite likely they'd be a frost last night, so I prepared for it by popping some straw over the potato plants that had popped through the ground during the week (I have about a dozen through now - still no sign of any sprouting in the previously water-logged bed though). There was a frost, and it looks likely for another tonight so have covered the plants over again. I recall this time last year also needing to frantically cover my corn seedlings and a few other plants that were in the ground too early - but not a problem this year!

I filled my newly emptied seed trays with corn seeds and noticed my beans and capsicums have sprouted.

I've needed to start watering the garden, so last weekend we cleaned and let the bathtub fill with roofwater to give us easy access again.

3 comments:

Johanna Knox said...

Yikes! Thank goodness you reminded me! Just had to run outside
(at quarter past midnight) and put newspaper quickly over my small potato patch - in case of frost tonight!!!)

Johanna Knox said...

By the way - would love to hear a review of the Findhorn Garden book, if you feel like it when you've read it! Sounds like your Nana and parents both have interesting bookshelves.

Nik said...

LOL at running outside at midnight to cover your pototoes! Yep, will give a review, although at this stage it really just looks like a recount of how they got to where they are.