Pages

December 11, 2008

Hanging and drying

I was reading my little locally published gardening calendar on when to do what in the garden. It's been a great little book and to the point which is what I like about it.

So, as I was randomly flicking through it as I was decluttering the table beside the computer I noticed that the herbs were due for harvesting now that the oil levels are high. Oops! Totally hadn't even seen that one coming.

After doing a quick online research I grabbed my scissors and basket and only chopped those that seemed to be suitable for hang drying - oregano, marjoram, thyme and rosemary (I did get some basil too but will lay it out to dry). I fancied making a little kitchen display of it and ended up with this. Pretty nice to have the lovely fragrances right there in my kitchen too.

I also pulled up my garlics (I'm impatient like that) although they're not really ready to come up for a few weeks or so and could have stayed a bit longer. But anyway, I'm pretty happy with my first successful harvest (I attempted planting some seedlings the year before in spring but they really were a flop and had yucky little black bugs all over them and no bulbs!). My house just smells very garlicky now!

This is my attempt at braiding them - was much harder than the pretty online pictures I was trying to copy!

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Very cool Nikki. I dried some last year and found them nice and easy to crumble directly into cooking pots once dried.

Your garlic looks great. I'll be leaving mine in the ground until late January - we are only just starting to get properly hot weather here now.

Johanna Knox said...

Gorgeous. Your house must smell divine. I'm hoping to try and grow some garlic next year. Maybe you can give me a braiding lesson!!!

Karen said...

Love it, love it, love it! I was wondering what I was supposed to do with the herbs I'm growing! Such lovely ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Leanne said...

Re Face Book - But Nikki I need all the friends I can get!

I am now hip & with it having a Facebook page.

Ps I'm not pulling up my garlic till tops have all browned off.

Love Leanne

Anonymous said...

Love the herb drying rack. Great idea.

Ruth said...

There shall be no vampires at your house for xmas then! :). I am not prepared to buy garlic from the supermarket and our year supply has dried up so am sneaking some from the garden and the ones I have chosen haven't even bulbed! Of course they still have a way to go (we traditionally plant and harvest longest day/shortest day). So when is it a good time to harvest herbs? I must go reserach that one...didn't even think of drying our herbs, duh! So thanks!