Pages

December 15, 2007

Down in the garden...


I seem to do a major gardening session one week and then have a few weeks off where I do zip. Works well for me. It means I don't need to worry about getting down there frequently to do chunks of work if I'm really not in the mood, or it's too hot, or we're busy doing other things or it's raining (ha!).

I was surprised to finally see some peapods growing yesterday, not sure how long they'll take to plump up, but hopefully the strange fungi/virus that the plants have won't affect the produce? The lower leaves have all turned white and transparent and quite thin - not too sure what it is though!

I harvested three baby beets the other day too, so looking forward to using them in some salads with my lettuces that have started to boom.

I've ceased growing seedlings, and sowing the seeds directly into the garden beds and they are booming - cuts the double handling which I was finding a bit of a drag earlier in spring.

I'm continuing to harvest new potatoes and one bed have reached a decent size.

The chickens seem to have cut back their laying, one of them was clucky for a few days I noticed and had to kick her out of the nest but she seems to be back to normal now.

Oh, and in the front garden my tallest sunflower has opened and currently about 6.5 feet high.

No comments: