Pages

November 02, 2007

Caterpillars attack!


Not quite so dramatic as that yet! This afternoon we were out in the garden and I noticed one of my broccoli plants had a few nibble holes. Upon flipping the leaf over I saw a few tiny caterpillars on it with eggs randomly scattered around. So off they came, squished, eggs, squished and funny spit-like stuff in the centre of the plant flicked off. So around the rest of the plants I went. Only one bed so far had noticeable eggs on a few of the plants but I can see this will be my daily ritual considering I still have the vision of uncared for broccoli's from last year riddled with caterpillars when I came to harvest them.

I constructed some tripods from bamboo for my peas to grow up - unfortunately I wasn't thinking too far ahead when I sowed the seeds - in a row - so kind of overlapped the tripods down the row and I'm sure they'll find their way up anyway.

No comments: