Pages

September 30, 2007

Running out of plots!

Ha! Just last week I was thinking how only a few of the guilds currently had plantings in them and of all the ones ready to go that the chickens had already vacated - but anyway, today the next lot of seedlings were ready for transferring out. Then I put in another patch of onions and carrots (not holding out much hope for the first lot since I can only see about 5 onions and not so sure where the carrots are yet) and dug over another patch for more corn which I will put in during the week - this time I'll directly sow them in the soil rather than raising them into seedlings first. I added a few more bean seeds directly into the ground to see how they go - my first ones were doing so great but unfortunately went all floppy during the week but the new growth may be salvagable. So out of the guilds available for planting into, there are only two more to catch up on (the chickens are moved on about once a week).

The chickens had a blast out running around for a few hours - but were beginning to get a bit pesky after a while and kept trampling over my seedlings and running around in circles making it worse when we tried to shoo them off (and my official shoo-er-off-er had retired for a rest by this time).

I will take a photo tomorrow to add in for comparison as things start to grow. The planting currently take up just under 1/2 of the available planting area - so plenting more plots to be used up and hopefully the first ones will then be available again for the chicken tractor to be moved back onto before they run out of space to graze in (although I haven't quite figured out how we'll maneuveur it back over to the start since it's not in a circular pattern as per Linda Woodrow's plan).

No comments: