Pages

August 28, 2007

Seeds, seeds and more seeds!

Well I decided today to plant out my onion and carrot seeds directly into the garden - I planted them in alternate rows taking up one garden bed (2mx2m) - they're great companion plants. In hindsight I should have marked my rows as I was planting, coz I kept forgetting where I'd been (especially getting distracted with Nathan talking to me and keeping an eye on (and needing to leave what I was doing to herd them occasionally) the chickens who were busy roaming around). They got very adventurous today and were making their way up towards the house (dog territory) and finding holes in the hedge I didn't know were there, and stomping and kicking all over my garden beds with the surviving corn and brassica seedlings! They have no fear now and let us in really close and don't freak at a hyper 4yr old running around - so took a bit of shooing. Just as we'd popped them back inside (they responded immediately to my "bok bok" noises and came running and walked inside) a nosey kitten from over the fence decided to investigate and try to get into their coop by climbing over it and all around it. The girls were great and trying to scare it off - eventually it got bored and wandered off.

Nathan also helped me plant some sunflower seeds in the front garden, and I added some cocktail tomato seeds to the herb garden. I also found a self-seeded pumpkin growing in my tomato-to-be garden bed along the front of the house, so have left that there to do it's thing since it's in a very convenient place. Oh, and for a bit of prettiness I sprinkled some wild flower seeds on our front grassed area that is a wasted area.

Simon finally managed to get the camellia tree dug out and now the mandarin tree is in place.

I just want to keep on plonking plants whereever there is a sunny spot! I can see it's going to be a lovely rambling garden eventually, so long as I remember where I've put everything!

No comments: