Pages

August 14, 2007

First transplantings!

After my hard work yesterday transferring my seedlings out of their propagators into seedling containers I then decided today to just put them into the garden! It has seemed very "spring-like" in the past week or so and we haven't had a frost in a long time, so I decided to chance it (and have just checked the weather forecast to see an overnight low of 5 degrees, so we should be ok!).

Some of them looked robust enough (the corn), but the other wee seedlings were quite fragile still, so not too sure how they'll cope (brocolli, cabbage, celery, lettuce, spinach and silverbeet). I also plonked a zucchini into a not-planned compost heap near my square foot garden at the front of my house which looked nicely protected and has plenty of room to spread. A friend was talking of growing corn and pumpkins together the American way, so off I googled and found this. Fortunately, the plot which was reserved for corn still has a gap at the top after planting all my seedlings to make a mound out of and it will allow the pumpkins to creep and wind their way through the cornstalks.

Some of the corn seedlings had their plastic recycled milk containers around them (with tops and bottoms chopped off) which I have kept around them as protection for a few days. Will be interesting to see how these compare to those that I didn't have enough containers to put them in.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

You're quick out of the blocks Nikki. Well done! We're still waiting on our seeds from King's and ecoseeds. When they arrive I plan on giving the three sisters intercropping a go too. I like the look of this garden design.