Pages

April 18, 2007

Beat your feet!

Walking that is!

With the growing awareness of needing to reduce carbon emissions because of the impact on climate change - and that personal car use rates right up there as one of the bigger contributors to the crisis - being able to reduce our usage is something that those of us who own and run a car can all do.

I have been actively reducing my car usage over the past 2-3mths and it has not been as difficult as I expected - once I put my mind to it and stick with it!

However, until now I have been randomly just deciding to stay home for the day/morning/afternoon or walking to a nearby vicinity. I will now be declaring Tuesdays "car free day" for myself and the kids on top of our other random times of not using the car - this will be increased as the change become a normal part of our daily life - after all, with the oil crisis, it *has* to be changed in the not so far future, so why not start now?

By having car free days, they will likely involve walking much longer distances and going prepared to be out for hours rather than just a short jaunt down to the local playground or beach - I actually look forward to it as an adventure where we will all be spending slow, quality, meaningful time together while doing our walking.

Not to mention the exercise we will all be getting!

Interested in more reading about climate change and why things need to change?

No comments: