Pages

March 13, 2007

What's your craft?

Over the years I have always been interested in doing crafty things. But I have come to realise that I'm not one to *stick* with any particular craft. I think I love the trying it out and learning about new things. I was pondering this a few days ago and think it really ties in with my "clutter free" lifestyle. I'm not one to make 10 mosaics for example if I really only want one or two for either myself or to gift. I'm also not one to make 20 cross-stitches when I only want one to gift. A lot of it is possibly my tendency to get bored with repetitive tasks and until I find a craft that gives me enough variety (yet seeing reasonably quick results), is practical and enjoyable I will keep on searching. This is what I love about weekend or evening workshops - I get the joy of attending and learning, being able to borrow the tools required, make what I want and then take it home - hassle-free.

For fun, I thought I'd list out what I've tried over the years either through workshops or on my own:

Cross-stitch
Ceramics
Tufa-pots
Felting
Furniture building/restoring
Dyeing
Jewellery making using beads
Making hand cream
Mosaics
Wall art using shells, fabrics etc
Making silver-clay jewellery

Now sewing - this is something I've been doing since I was about 11 when I learnt to sew at school. It has gone through stages of sewing from a need (when you're 5'1" tall, ALL pants and often skirts need adjusting) to sewing for enjoyment. But generally it often comes back to an 'as needed' basis. I do plan on sewing the kids some clothes - and have a bunch of old clothes that I plan on refashioning for this coming winter. I have sewn some memorable things though: school ballgown, cute bag for my bridesmaid to use on the wedding day, and a few cute kids things.

What I am really looking forward to learning to do this winter will be knitting (will need to find me a teacher, eh Sharon?). I attempted to knit when I was 13 but lost interest pretty quickly. Now I can really see how it could be something that *may* provide the variety I need, will be practical and is something that year after year the kids will need (and I'm sure I'll find some projects for myself too!).

No comments: