Pages

March 03, 2007

Small-scale gardening

I read an inspiring thread on The Nappy Network mid-December last year and having had one very brief failure of a garden about 3 years ago (which unfortunately got flooded and washed away), I decided to give it another good go. The method discussed was Square Foot Gardening, so being a woman of action I sent hubby out with a list of my requirements (peat, fine pumice, sleepers to make the frame, compost and a list of seedlings). A few hours later we had a lovely little 2 x 4 foot garden. I was so proud of this wee garden!



And here it was a few weeks ago - 2 months to the day of planting it.




Sadly my brocolli's got attacked by caterpillars so needed to be ripped out. I have since planted some spinach plants in their place and I am on caterpillar watch! My tomato plants have HEAPS of fruit on them, so eagerly awaiting them to rippen. A pumpkin plant has self planted itself in the right hand corner and has a few good size pumpkins on it - a good tip from a fellow nappy-networker suggested nipping it back after getting 3 flowers on a stem, so have been out there keeping an eye on it. Now I am thinking of moving on to much larger scale using permaculture principles. Watch this space!

No comments: