Pages

May 01, 2009

My home is my haven

I've just been so in love with my house lately. I just love arriving home and stepping inside. It warms my heart and I feel wrapped in its security and comfort (helps if we've left it in a tidy state and the kitchen bench not being cluttered with dirty dishes since it's the first thing you see as you walk in the door).

I think I appreciate it so much more than ever with Nathan's health issues, with the state of the economy, the potential flu pandemic and it's a place where I can mostly forget about all of that (well, providing I don't turn on my computer lol) and just live in the moment.

Despite all the doom and gloom and the need to really not spend unnecessary money at the moment - we (well, I) decided to update the colour schemes of all our bedrooms. It has been 6yrs since we last painted when we first moved in here and now with the kids being a bit older, it felt right to update things. Danielle's room is now a lovely warm but dark lime/wasabi green type colour. Ours is a yummy light chocolate brown and Nathan's will be a very pale grey with a metallic pewter colour for his furniture (will be painted this weekend).

A few weeks ago I did a little home blessing as a spontaneous thing after reading one of my books. It just felt the right thing to do. After honing in on the hearth of my home, I bought up all the warm, safe feelings that our home provides and let that wash over me as I blessed it (it sounds all a bit odd writing it down, but there you have it lol).

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Doesn't sound odd to me! :)

I think that's one of the gifts that fall brings - cozying us in, shutting the doors and shutting out the world... feelings of sanctuary and of being lovingly tucked in.

Nik said...

Yes, that's just it I think! And when it's spring, it's all about throwing open the doors and windows and breathing in the freshness and newness.

emmani said...

Hi Nikki,

I just read this post from Kel at Taurus Rising and thought of you, this link especially, since you are always one step ahead with your stockpiling.

hope my links work, I'm a bit rusty on the old html skills!

Leanne said...

I think society has lost the importance of home. Back in the 50's woman stayed home, kept the home nice, cooked basic healthy food from scratch- the husband came home to a warm fire, meal cooking on the stove & home tidy after a day at work. I don't think any home can beat that! I am greatful dh goes out to work everyday so we can have the lifestyle we want - & me be a kept woman GRIN.
Giving thanks for the simple things in life is important.

Love Leanne

kathy said...

I too am in love with my house. It does help to keep it tidy but such a chore when it's the garden calling my name. I am feeling a bit stale. I think I shall spend some money on freshening up a few things. I think, with our money likely to worth less soon, one might as well invest in the things that matter most-home and family.