Pages

July 12, 2008

Lemon Balm Tea


I'm running out of herbs in my garden to trial for replacement teas as I cut back on my black tea addiction. But today I moved on to lemon balm leaves and made up a brew. It was a very pleasant, refreshing drink and something I will drink again.

It wasn't too overpowering, just a nice lemon fragrance. Lemon balm is a part of the mint family (and looks very similar, only much larger leaves). It is claimed to have antibacterial and antiviral properties as well as being a calmative and mild sedative.

As for my black tea drinking habits - definitely down to no more than 3 cups a day now and feeling good!

6 comments:

Sharonnz said...

This is my favourite that I've managed to grow over the years. Yours looks nice and healthy. Supposed to be good for headaches.

emmani said...

I've got some Lemon balm too, I love the smell so I'll be brewing up some tea to try. I've never used it before, but I know it can be used to keep mosquitos away. It's quite a medicinal flavour, like rosemary.

Chile said...

Sounds tasty. Glad to hear the black tea to herb tea transition is going well.

Nik said...

Sharon - alas, that's not my plant lol. But my plant is pretty healthy!
Emmani - let me know how you got on with your brew.
Chile - thanks!

emmani said...

Hi Nikki,

So, I used 5 larger leaves from the Lemon balm, chopped it with a tip of a teaspoon of brown sugar, (my Dad used to make mint sauce on a Sunday, he used the sugar to help chop and grind the mint leaves to bring out the flavour) poured boiling water onto the leaves and left to brew until drinkable. I couldn't even taste the sugar in the end.

It's very nice tea, refreshing and light, I'm sure it would be great before bedtime to relax and calm...

Have you tried Rosemary tea?

Nik said...

THanks Emmani. I will try it with some sugar and see how it goes. I haven't tried rosemary tea yet - will give that a go in the next few days.