Pages

March 22, 2007

Saving energy (in more ways than one) while cooking!

Electricity AND labour that is...

I recall my parents talking of hay baskets as a means of keeping food hot all day long while it cooks. Never really having had much interest in that idea, it was something I filed away in my brain until Rach was after ideas on how to manage her family's cooking needs without slaving over a hot stove for hours while away travelling and it seemed like it might be a goer.

Well Rach has gone off and actually tried it and been quite successful at it. Now to actually try it myself. HA!

So, yesterday I did decide to give it a go - and wanted to try out Rach's Beans Bonanza. However, I discovered I did not have a suitable pot without handles that would fit into anything - and my wok was too wide. So I flagged that idea and moved on to the next best idea of electricity saving (after having read this ebook, (pg 83) the night before) by bringing the food to the boil with lid on, boil for a few minutes, turning off the heat but leaving the pot on the element to finish cooking. My attempts over the last few days have included: brown rice (boiled for 10mins opposed to 25-30mins), boiled potatoes (boiled for 2mins opposed to 10mins), boiled kumara slices (brought to the boil only, opposed to 5mins). I would really like to attempt hard boiled eggs.

Haybaskets aside - and with winter approaching - I know I'll be getting my crockpot out for more regular use again after receiving a very old one (but great working condition) from my parents last year.

2 comments:

Rach said...

waves at Nikki!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, good luck with your hay-box/cooking basket. Can you get steamer sets like mine down under, too? No handles to worry about and works great...Have left photo's for you to have a peak...